1st grader: Over the Bridge level 3
Analysis of miscues:
Meaning errors: did not know the word bulldozer in English
Syntax error: injected the word but at the beginning of the final sentence
Visual errors: none
Teaching points: I told the student the unknown word
Strategies or assignments to address reading challenges:
- English vocabulary development before, during, after reading
- self-monitoring of 1:1 match by pointing to words
- increase reading of familiar books; this student needs to log more "miles on the page"
- additional word study
Analysis of miscues:
Meaning errors: none
Syntax error: miscued children for child
Visual errors: none
This child was an accomplished reader who was both familiar with the text and accurate in decoding words. She read fluently and had appropriate expression. Her response to my follow-up question regarding the meaning of the word cozy was answered correctly ("it means nice and warm").
Teaching points: I spent a few minutes talking to this child about the author, Audrey Wood, as she had two of this author's books in her book basket.
Strategies or assignments to address reading challenges:
- Author Study to support this child's interest in the books of Audrey Wood
- "Book Club" discussion group
- Write and illustrate books with similar patterns
- work with the art teacher to study the illustration style of this author
Deborah,
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard the expression "miles on the page," but I agree that extensive reading is the best way to build students' reading skills, strategies and vocabularies. Sometimes I feel like we spend so much time teaching reading that students do not have enough opportunity to actually read.
Cheryl Schall
Deborah,
ReplyDeleteI am going to piggy back on what Cheryl said as well, with the statement: I completely agree with the expression, "Miles on the page," and the importance of allowing students the opportunity to explore texts. I also appreciate your suggestion of author studies (even though the student is so young), and including the art teacher in engaging this student through their area of interest. Students are never too young to appreciate interest shown to them. Thank you for your ideas and conscientiousness.
:) Helena
Hi Deborah,
ReplyDeleteI understand what you meant by miles on the page, and it's a good concept. I'm also pleased to hear that your kids have their own book baskets with their own book choices. I had the resources to do that in my last school but not at this one, and I see the difference. It's a project I want to get going in my current school.
I was also also interested in the idea of doing running records on familiar books. The tutorial that was recommended suggests using books that students have chosen. We use PM benchmarks, which are are supposed to be administered cold (not previously viewed by the student) but that defeats the idea that we teach them the strategy of taking a picture walk and having a look first to get ideas, use all of the clues. One way or the other, you could get a different set of results, wouldn't you?
I have to say that I do philosophically prefer the idea of student choice here. This seems to be an interesting area for a bit of controversy!
Kathy