Saturday, January 12, 2013

Topic 1 Entry #2 Writing Instruction


Writing instruction that I've received:

In my undergraduate work in elementary education, I received an overview of writing instruction, primarily focused around creating writing units in poetry and narrative composition.  I don't remember much instruction related to expository writing or understanding the process of writing and how to teach specific components.

As a resource room teacher in an elementary school, I was trained in Step Up to Writing, and we created a school-wide writing program that was effective for struggling writers. Since that time, I've had training in intensive intervention programs, such as Language!, which include writing instruction for students with significant deficits in writing.

In graduate school in special education, there was a focus on writing intervention vs. initial instruction, addressing issues related to struggling writers such as difficulties with organization, planning, writing mechanics, and handwriting.  As a special educator, I've read a lot about the writing process in general, attended conference presentations, collected resources, and focused my coaching and teacher training work on both higher and lower level skills in writing. 

I've adapted a strategy with English Language Learners who are functioning below grade level in reading and writing called the "Language Experience Approach", which has students dictate stories that are typed and compiled into independent reading journals for fluency practice.  This has the benefit of using student language and providing direction for writing instruction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment