Blog #8: Video response Sheltered Instruction
Sheltered instruction includes methods drawn from the general education classroom and from second language settings (Echevarria, Vogt, & Short, 2008). Techniques include cooperative learning, making a connection to students' experience and prior knowledge, vocabulary instruction, and use of visuals. Many of these techniques were observed in the Sheltered Instruction video:
To begin, this teacher explicitly explained the lesson objectives of the day and then sheltered the instruction in 3 phases through pre-reading, during reading, and after-reading instruction.
In the prereading phase, she pretaught vocabulary and had students relate the words to their own experience. She also incorporated illustrations, suggested that students talk to their parents about superstitions in their own cultures, and provided students with an opportunity to work together in groups, enabling them to clarify concepts and words in their home language.
There was some confusion on the video regarding "during reading" sheltering activities, but she did model visualizing and had students visualize in their own minds. She had also done some front-loading of information the week before the video.
Finally, after reading, she reviewed vocabulary, strategies, content, and objectives. She had provided a "diary board" of strategies, which would be helpful for a strategy review as needed.
Students in the class appeared to be very engaged and familiar with the instructional format. The videos seemed to focus primarily on implementing strategies from the instructional perspective as opposed to focusing on student interaction. They were well-done and it was also helpful to have the on-going commentary on each section.
References:
Echevarria, J., Vogt, M. & Short, D. (2008). Making content comprehensible for English learners: The SIOP model. Boston: Pearson.
Deborah,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your post and that you broke down the skills in their lesson areas. So many of these strategies make sense, and I believe that teachers innately use many of them, but I also agree that it was nice to see them in action. I also liked the use of the diary board, and I can see this as a valuable tool in education.
Helena
Deborah,
ReplyDeleteThanks for drawing attention to the diary board. I had not heard the term before. Students require many exposures to learn new language and content. The diary board would be a great way to continue to review past learnings. I will try this strategy with my third grade reading comprehension group.
Cheryl Schall